Okay, I admit I’m late to The Big Bang Theory bandwagon, but I finally realized what all the buzz was about when I watched an episode a couple of months ago. I’ve been hooked ever since.
Though the show is funny
— with what I call ‘smart’ humor’ —
one piece pulls it all together and makes it work.
As I thought about Sheldon’s character, I realized that it wasn’t just his idiosyncrasies that make the show really hum. It’s that he’s so fallible, and so geeky, and so just like the rest of us despite his astronomically high IQ and ADHD tendencies.
There is a bit of everyman in Sheldon that make him lovable. Something most of us can identify with. And here’s a short list of why I think he’s such a great character:
- He’s honest. He says what’s on his mind and expects you to take his words at face value. Which makes him overbearing at times, but lying clearly makes him uncomfortable and it’s something he doesn’t like to do.
- He believes what he believes, and he does what he believes, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Sheldon sticks to his guns. It doesn’t matter if someone disagrees with him, or sees things differently, he’s going to do it his way. That may make him closed-minded sometimes, but he’s not going to do something just to appeal to a crowd. Gotta give him kudos for that.
- He marches to his own drums. Drums that no one else can see or hear, mind you, but they’re his drums and they won’t be compromised by anyone else.
- Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr.
- When he’s overly obnoxious or rude, he tries to make up for it. In his own way, but he tries. Wouldn’t it be nice if more people did that?
- Bazinga. Need I say more?
- He recognizes his idiosyncrasies. Sometimes. Like Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Sheldon’s always striving to become more human. 🙂
- Sarcasm. He really doesn’t get it. And often, neither do I.
- Door knocking. knock knock knock “Penny” knock knock knock “Penny” knock knock knock “Penny” — and fyi, as Sheldon has to knock three times, I often have to repeat something I say three times. Guess we’re kindred souls.
- Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock. Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors decapitates Lizard. Lizard eats Paper. Paper disproves Spock. Spock vaporizes Rock. And, as it always has, Rock crushes Scissors.
And a bonus:
- Sheldon: Why are you crying?
Penny: Because I’m stupid.
Sheldon: That’s no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
So, are you obsessed with Big Bang Theory and Sheldon like I am? If so, I’d love to know.
All images courtesy of/copyright to CBS
Copyright © 2012-2014 · All Rights Reserved · TerriPonce.com